(a) In this section:
(1) “Hands-free device” has the meaning assigned by Section 545.425.
(2) “Wireless communication device” has the meaning assigned by Section 545.425.
(b) Except as provided by Section 545.425(c), an operator may not use a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle on the property of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school for which a local authority has designated a school crossing zone, during the time a reduced speed limit is in effect for the school crossing zone, unless:
(1) the vehicle is stopped; or
(2) the wireless communication device is used with a hands-free device.
Terms Used In Texas Transportation Code 545.4252
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Property: means real and personal property. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Rule: includes regulation. See Texas Government Code 311.005
(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section that the wireless communication device was used to make an emergency call to:
(1) an emergency response service, including a rescue, emergency medical, or hazardous material response service;
(2) a hospital;
(3) a fire department;
(4) a health clinic;
(5) a medical doctor’s office;
(6) an individual to administer first aid treatment; or
(7) a police department.
(d) This section does not apply to:
(1) an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle using a wireless communication device while acting in an official capacity; or
(2) an operator who is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission while operating a radio frequency device other than a wireless communication device.
(e) This section preempts all local ordinances, rules, or regulations that are inconsistent with specific provisions of this section adopted by a political subdivision of this state relating to the use of a wireless communication device by the operator of a motor vehicle, except that a political subdivision may by ordinance or rule prohibit the use of a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle throughout the jurisdiction of the political subdivision.