Terms Used In Texas Government Code 311.005
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Population: means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- United States: includes a department, bureau, or other agency of the United States of America. See Texas Government Code 311.005
The following definitions apply unless the statute or context in which the word or phrase is used requires a different definition:
(1) “Oath” includes affirmation.
(2) “Person” includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity.
(3) “Population” means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census.
(4) “Property” means real and personal property.
(5) “Rule” includes regulation.
(6) “Signed” includes any symbol executed or adopted by a person with present intention to authenticate a writing.
(7) “State,” when referring to a part of the United States, includes any state, district, commonwealth, territory, and insular possession of the United States and any area subject to the legislative authority of the United States of America.
(8) “Swear” includes affirm.
(9) “United States” includes a department, bureau, or other agency of the United States of America.
(10) “Week” means seven consecutive days.
(11) “Written” includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures.
(12) “Year” means 12 consecutive months.
(13) “Includes” and “including” are terms of enlargement and not of limitation or exclusive enumeration, and use of the terms does not create a presumption that components not expressed are excluded.