As used in this article.
Terms Used In Virginia Code 2.2-1162
- Asbestos: means any material containing more than one percent of the asbestiform varieties of:
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-1162
- Director: means the Director of the Department of General Services. See Virginia Code 2.2-1162
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Administration. See Virginia Code 2.2-1162
- United States: includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-255
“Asbestos” means any material containing more than one percent of the asbestiform varieties of:
1. chrysotile (serpentine),
2. crocidolite (riebeckite),
3. amosite (cummingtonite-grunerite),
5. tremolite, or
“Director” means the Director of the Department of General Services.
“Friable” means material that is capable of being crumbled, pulverized or reduced to powder by hand pressure or which under normal use or maintenance emits or can be expected to emit asbestos fibers into the air.
“Local education agency” or “LEA” means the same as that term is defined in the United States Environmental Protection Agency Asbestos Hazard and Emergency Response Act regulations set forth in 40 CFR 763.
“Operations and maintenance program” means work practices to maintain asbestos-containing material in good condition and to minimize and control disturbance or damage to such materials.
“Response actions” means any action, including removal, encapsulation, enclosure, repair, method of operation, maintenance, record keeping or notification that protects human health from building materials containing asbestos.
“Secretary” means the Secretary of Administration.
1986, cc. 288, 560, § 2.1-526.12; 1988, c. 723; 1989, c. 398; 1990, c. 50; 2001, c. 844.