As used in this chapter, unless the context requires a different meaning:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 2.2-307
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Includes: means includes, but not limited to. See Virginia Code 1-218
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Office: means the Office of the State Inspector General. See Virginia Code 2.2-307
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
- State agency: means any agency, institution, board, bureau, commission, council, or instrumentality of state government in the executive branch listed in the appropriation act. See Virginia Code 2.2-307
“Employee” means any person who is regularly employed full time on either a salaried or wage basis, whose tenure is not restricted as to temporary or provisional appointment, in the service of, and whose compensation is payable by, no more often than biweekly, in whole or in part, a state agency.
“Nonstate agency” means any public or private foundation, authority, institute, museum, corporation, or similar organization that is (i) not a unit of state government or a political subdivision of the Commonwealth as established by general law or special act and (ii) wholly or principally supported by state funds. “Nonstate agency” shall not include any such entity that receives state funds (a) as a subgrantee of a state agency, (b) through a state grant-in-aid program authorized by law, (c) as a result of an award of a competitive grant or a public contract for the procurement of goods, services, or construction, or (d) pursuant to a lease of real property as described in subdivision 5 of § 2.2-1149.
“Office” means the Office of the State Inspector General.
“Officer” means any person who is elected or appointed to a public office in a state agency.
“State agency” means any agency, institution, board, bureau, commission, council, or instrumentality of state government in the executive branch listed in the appropriation act. “State agency” also includes any local department of social services.