Except as provided under § 2.2-5502, no person may commence a regulated introduction unless the person:
Terms Used In Virginia Code 2.2-5503
- Department: means the department designated by the Secretary of Commerce and Trade to implement the requirements of this chapter for certain types or classes of regulated introductions. See Virginia Code 2.2-5501
- Federal regulator: means a federal department, agency, or other instrumentality of the federal government, or a designee of such federal instrumentality, which is responsible for regulating an introduction of a genetically engineered organism into the environment under the Coordinated Framework. See Virginia Code 2.2-5501
- Locality: means any county, city or town located within the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 2.2-5501
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- Regulated introduction: means a planned introduction into the environment for which the Coordinated Framework requires that the person proposing to commence the introduction into the environment do one or more of the following:
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-5501
1. Provides to the Department all of the following information within seven days after the person submits or should have submitted the information specified in subdivisions 1 a and 1 b to a federal regulator, whichever is sooner:
a. A copy of all information that the person is required to submit to the federal regulator and that is not confidential information; and
b. A summary of any confidential information that the person submits or is required to submit to a federal regulator. The summary shall provide sufficient information to enable the Department to exercise its notice and comment functions under §§ 2.2-5504 and 2.2-5505, to provide public notice pursuant to § 2.2-5504, and to prepare comments pursuant to § 2.2-5505, and shall have minimal extraneous and irrelevant information. The summary shall also provide sufficient information to enable the locality in which the introduction is proposed to be made to exercise its comment function under § 2.2-5505.
2. Provides such additional information, if any, as is necessary to enable the Department to fulfill any functions it undertakes, on a case-by-case basis, under § 2.2-5505.