|§ 59.1-518.2||When automatic dialing-announcing devices prohibited|
|§ 59.1-518.3||Disconnect requirement|
|§ 59.1-518.4||Violations of chapter; penalty|
Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 59.1 > Chapter 44.1 - Automatic Dialing-Announcing Devices
- agent: means a person not less than 16 years of age charged by an entity with the responsibility of navigating and operating a personal delivery device. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Automatic dialing-announcing device: means a device that (i) selects and dials telephone numbers and (ii) working alone or in conjunction with other equipment, disseminates a prerecorded or synthesized voice message to the telephone number called. See Virginia Code 59.1-518.1
- Caller: means a person that attempts to contact, or contacts, a subscriber in the Commonwealth by using a telephone or telephone line. See Virginia Code 59.1-518.1
- City: means an independent incorporated community which became a city as provided by law before noon on July 1, 1971, or which has within defined boundaries a population of 5,000 or more and which has become a city as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-208
- Commercial telephone solicitation: means any unsolicited call to a subscriber when (i) the person initiating the call has not had a prior business or personal relationship with the subscriber and (ii) the purpose of the call is to solicit the purchase or the consideration of the purchase of goods or services by the subscriber. See Virginia Code 59.1-518.1
- Commissioner: means the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- driver: means every person who either (i) drives or is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle on a highway or (ii) is exercising control over or steering a vehicle being towed by a motor vehicle. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- farm: means any person that obtains at least 51 percent of its annual gross income from agricultural operations and produces the agricultural waste used as feedstock for the waste-to-energy technology, (ii) "agricultural waste" means biomass waste materials capable of decomposition that are produced from the raising of plants and animals during agricultural operations, including animal manures, bedding, plant stalks, hulls, and vegetable matter, and (iii) "waste-to-energy technology" means any technology, including but not limited to a methane digester, that converts agricultural waste into gas, steam, or heat that is used to generate electricity on-site. See Virginia Code 1-222.1
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Gross weight: means the aggregate weight of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and the load thereon. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Law-enforcement officer: means any officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or to make arrests for violations of this title or local ordinances authorized by law. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Motor vehicle: means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Owner: means a person who holds the legal title to a vehicle; however, if a vehicle is the subject of an agreement for its conditional sale or lease with the right of purchase on performance of the conditions stated in the agreement and with an immediate right of possession vested in the conditional vendee or lessee or if a mortgagor of a vehicle is entitled to possession, then the conditional vendee or lessee or mortgagor shall be the owner for the purpose of this title. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Process: includes subpoenas, the summons and complaint in a civil action, and process in statutory actions. See Virginia Code 1-237
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
- Subscriber: means (i) a person who has subscribed to telephone service from a telephone company or (ii) other persons living or residing with the person. See Virginia Code 59.1-518.1
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Vehicle: means every device in, on or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn on a highway, except personal delivery devices and devices moved by human power or used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks. See Virginia Code 46.2-100
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.