|Sections||8.8A-401 – 8.8A-407|
Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 8.8A > Part 4
- Agricultural seed: means seeds of grass, forage, cereal, and fiber crops; any other seed commonly recognized as agricultural seed; and any lawn seed, turf seed, and mixtures thereof (including any noxious-weed seeds that may be present). See Virginia Code 3.2-4000
- air carrier: includes a common carrier by aircraft, a restricted common carrier by aircraft, and a contract carrier by aircraft. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- aircraft: means any contrivance, except a contrivance operating twenty-four inches or less above ground or water level, now known or hereafter invented, used, or designed for navigation of, or flight in, the airspace in the transportation of passengers, property or mail. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- airspace: means all airspace above the lands and waters within the boundary of this Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Business: means any type of corporation, partnership, limited liability company, association, or sole proprietorship operated for profit. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- certificate: means a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the State Corporation Commission to common carriers by aircraft and restricted common carriers by aircraft under this chapter. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- College partnership laboratory school: means a public, nonsectarian, nonreligious school in the Commonwealth established by a public institution of higher education or private institution of higher education that operates a teacher education program approved by the Board. See Virginia Code 22.1-349.1
- Commission: means the State Corporation Commission. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- common carrier by aircraft: means any person who undertakes, whether directly or by a lease or any other arrangement, to transport passengers, property for the general public, or mail by aircrafts for compensation (wholly within the airspace of the Commonwealth), whether over regular or irregular routes, including such aircraft operations of carriers by rail, water or motor vehicle and of express or forwarding companies. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Construction: means building, altering, repairing, improving or demolishing any structure, building or highway, and any draining, dredging, excavation, grading or similar work upon real property. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Council: means the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council established in § 30-355. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Distribute: means to import, consign, produce, mix, blend, condition, sell, offer for sale, barter, warehouse, or supply seeds in the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 3.2-4000
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Goods: means all material, equipment, supplies, printing, and automated data processing hardware and software. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Governing board: means the board of a college partnership laboratory school that is responsible for creating, managing, and operating the college partnership laboratory school and whose members have been selected by the institution of higher education that establishes the college partnership laboratory school. See Virginia Code 22.1-349.1
- inhabitants: means with reference to any county, city, town, political subdivision of the Commonwealth or any combination thereof, the natural persons in such county, city, town, political subdivision or combination as shown by the unadjusted United States decennial census last preceding the time at which any provision dependent upon population is being applied or the time as of which it is being construed. See Virginia Code 1-235
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Lobbying: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Lobbyist: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Local government: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Origin: means the state, territory, foreign country, or designated portion thereof, where the seed was grown. See Virginia Code 3.2-4000
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- person: means any individual, firm, copartnership, corporation, company, association or joint-stock association, and includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, or personal representative thereof. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Public body: means any legislative, executive or judicial body, agency, office, department, authority, post, commission, committee, institution, board or political subdivision created by law to exercise some sovereign power or to perform some governmental duty, and empowered by law to undertake the activities described in this chapter. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Responsive bidder: means a person who has submitted a bid that conforms in all material respects to the Invitation to Bid. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Sale: means the transfer of ownership of seed as evidenced by the exchange of payment or seed, in whole or in part. See Virginia Code 3.2-4000
- School board: means the school board that governs a school division. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Services: means any work performed by an independent contractor wherein the service rendered does not consist primarily of acquisition of equipment or materials, or the rental of equipment, materials and supplies. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Vegetable seed: means seeds of crops grown in gardens and on truck farms commonly recognized as vegetable seed and designated by regulations. See Virginia Code 3.2-4000