|Sections||8.8A-501 – 8.8A-511|
Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 8.8A > Part 5
- Affiliate: means a person who directly or indirectly owns or controls, is owned or controlled by, or is under common ownership or control with, another person. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- air carrier: includes a common carrier by aircraft, a restricted common carrier by aircraft, and a contract carrier by aircraft. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- aircraft: means any contrivance, except a contrivance operating twenty-four inches or less above ground or water level, now known or hereafter invented, used, or designed for navigation of, or flight in, the airspace in the transportation of passengers, property or mail. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Allocable share: means Allocable Share as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- certificate: means a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the State Corporation Commission to common carriers by aircraft and restricted common carriers by aircraft under this chapter. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- cigarette: includes "roll-your-own" tobacco, which means any tobacco which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- City: means an independent incorporated community which became a city as provided by law before noon on July 1, 1971, or which has within defined boundaries a population of 5,000 or more and which has become a city as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-208
- Commission: means the State Corporation Commission. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- common carrier by aircraft: means any person who undertakes, whether directly or by a lease or any other arrangement, to transport passengers, property for the general public, or mail by aircrafts for compensation (wholly within the airspace of the Commonwealth), whether over regular or irregular routes, including such aircraft operations of carriers by rail, water or motor vehicle and of express or forwarding companies. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Construction: means building, altering, repairing, improving or demolishing any structure, building or highway, and any draining, dredging, excavation, grading or similar work upon real property. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Council: means the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council established in § 30-355. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: means service by virtue of one's office and includes voting privileges for ex officio members unless otherwise provided. See Virginia Code 1-215
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lobbying: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Lobbyist: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Master Settlement Agreement: means the settlement agreement and related documents entered into on November 23, 1998, by the Commonwealth and leading United States tobacco product manufacturers. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means an individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation or any other organization or group of persons. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Person: means an individual, proprietorship, firm, partnership, joint venture, joint stock company, syndicate, business trust, estate, company, corporation, association, club, committee, organization, or group of persons acting in concert. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- principal: means the entity on whose behalf the lobbyist influences or attempts to influence executive or legislative action. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Process: includes subpoenas, the summons and complaint in a civil action, and process in statutory actions. See Virginia Code 1-237
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Released claims: means Released Claims as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Releasing parties: means Releasing Parties as that term is defined in the Master Settlement Agreement. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Services: means any work performed by an independent contractor wherein the service rendered does not consist primarily of acquisition of equipment or materials, or the rental of equipment, materials and supplies. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Tobacco product manufacturer: means an entity that after the date of enactment of this act directly (and not exclusively through any affiliate):
1. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Units sold: means the number of individual cigarettes sold in the Commonwealth by the applicable tobacco product manufacturer, whether directly or through a distributor, retailer or similar intermediary or intermediaries, during the year in question, as measured by excise taxes collected by the Commonwealth on packs (or "roll-your-own" tobacco containers) bearing the excise tax stamp of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 3.2-4200
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.