Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 8.8A > Part 6
- aircraft: means any contrivance, except a contrivance operating twenty-four inches or less above ground or water level, now known or hereafter invented, used, or designed for navigation of, or flight in, the airspace in the transportation of passengers, property or mail. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- certificate: means a certificate of public convenience and necessity issued by the State Corporation Commission to common carriers by aircraft and restricted common carriers by aircraft under this chapter. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- City: means an independent incorporated community which became a city as provided by law before noon on July 1, 1971, or which has within defined boundaries a population of 5,000 or more and which has become a city as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-208
- Commission: means the State Corporation Commission. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- common carrier by aircraft: means any person who undertakes, whether directly or by a lease or any other arrangement, to transport passengers, property for the general public, or mail by aircrafts for compensation (wholly within the airspace of the Commonwealth), whether over regular or irregular routes, including such aircraft operations of carriers by rail, water or motor vehicle and of express or forwarding companies. See Virginia Code 5.1-89
- Construction: means building, altering, repairing, improving or demolishing any structure, building or highway, and any draining, dredging, excavation, grading or similar work upon real property. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Council: means the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council established in § 30-355. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Lobbyist: means :
1. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Notary: means notary public. See Virginia Code 1-226
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- principal: means the entity on whose behalf the lobbyist influences or attempts to influence executive or legislative action. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Public body: means any legislative, executive or judicial body, agency, office, department, authority, post, commission, committee, institution, board or political subdivision created by law to exercise some sovereign power or to perform some governmental duty, and empowered by law to undertake the activities described in this chapter. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Public contract: means an agreement between a public body and a nongovernmental source that is enforceable in a court of law. See Virginia Code 2.2-4301
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Commonwealth. See Virginia Code 2.2-419
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.