The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
Terms Used In Washington Code 38.42.010
- member: refers to a soldier or airman of the organized militia. See Washington Code 38.04.010
- military: refers to any or all of the armed forces. See Washington Code 38.04.010
- national guard: shall mean that part of the military force of the state that is organized, equipped and federally recognized under the provisions of the national defense act of the United States, and, in the event the national guard is called into federal service or in the event the state guard or any part or individual member thereof is called into active state service by the commander-in-chief, the term shall also include the "Washington state guard" or any temporary organization set up in times of emergency to replace either the "national guard" or "state guard" while in actual service of the United States. See Washington Code 38.04.010
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- person: may be construed to include the United States, this state, or any state or territory, or any public or private corporation or limited liability company, as well as an individual. See Washington Code 1.16.080
(1) “Attorney general” means the attorney general of the state of Washington or any person designated by the attorney general to carry out a responsibility of the attorney general under this chapter.
(2) “Business loan” means a loan or extension of credit granted to a business entity that: (a) Is owned and operated by a service member, in which the service member is either (i) a sole proprietor, or (ii) the owner of at least fifty percent of the entity; and (b) experiences a material reduction in revenue due to the service member’s military service.
(3) “Dependent” means:
(a) The service member’s spouse;
(b) The service member’s minor child; or
(c) An individual for whom the service member provided more than one-half of the individual’s support for one hundred eighty days immediately preceding an application for relief under this chapter.
(4) “Financial institution” means an institution as defined in RCW 30A.22.041.
(5) “Judgment” does not include temporary orders as issued by a judicial court or administrative tribunal in domestic relations cases under Title 26 RCW, including but not limited to establishment of a temporary child support obligation, creation of a temporary parenting plan, or entry of a temporary protective or restraining order.
(6) “Military service” means a service member:
(a) Under a call to active service authorized by the president of the United States or the secretary of defense for a period of more than thirty consecutive days; or
(b) Under a call to active service authorized by the governor under RCW 38.08.040 for a period of more than thirty consecutive days.
(7) “National guard” has the meaning in RCW 38.04.010.
(8) “Service member” means an active member of the United States armed forces, a member of a military reserve component, or a member of the national guard who is either stationed in or a resident of Washington state.