(a) There is hereby created within the department the breast and cervical cancer detection and education program. This program is established to promote screening and detection of breast and cervical cancer among unserved or underserved populations, to educate the public regarding breast and cervical cancer and the benefits of early detection, and to provide counseling and referral services.
Terms Used In West Virginia Code 16-33-3
- Department: means the Department of Health and Human Resources. See West Virginia Code 16-33-2
- Unserved or underserved populations: means persons having inadequate access and financial resources to obtain breast and cervical cancer screening and detection services, including persons who lack health insurance or whose health insurance coverage. See West Virginia Code 16-33-2
(b) The program shall include:
(1) Establishment of a public education and outreach campaign to publicize breast and cervical cancer detection and education services, including the extent of coverage for such services by health insurance, the medical assistance program and other public and private programs;
(2) Provision of grants to approved organizations under section four of this article;
(3) Compilation of data concerning the breast and cervical cancer detection and education program and dissemination of the data to the public; and
(4) Development of professional education programs including the benefits of early detection of breast and cervical cancer and the recommended frequency of screening examinations for prevention and control.