Terms Used In West Virginia Code > Chapter 16 > Article 40
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of the Bureau for Public Health. See West Virginia Code 16-40-1
- Freestanding birthing center: means any health care facility in which births routinely occur, regardless of whether the facility is located on the campus of another health care facility, and which is not licensed under article five-b of this chapter. See West Virginia Code 16-40-1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospital: means a hospital licensed under the provisions of article five-b of this chapter. See West Virginia Code 16-40-1
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Nurse-midwife: means an individual authorized under article fifteen, chapter thirty of this code to practice nurse-midwifery. See West Virginia Code 16-40-1
- Physician: means an individual authorized under article three or fourteen, chapter thirty of this code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery. See West Virginia Code 16-40-1
- state: when applied to a part of the United States and not restricted by the context, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories, and the words "United States" also include the said district and territories. See West Virginia Code 2-2-10