Current as of: 2010
For purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:
(1) MEDICAL PRACTITIONER. Anyone licensed to practice medicine or osteopathy in the State of Alabama, engaged in such practice, and shall include medical professional corporations, associations, and partnerships.
(2) DENTAL PRACTITIONER. Anyone licensed to practice dentistry in the State of Alabama, engaged in such practice, and such term includes professional dental corporations, associations, and partnerships.
(3) MEDICAL INSTITUTION. Any licensed hospital, or any physicians' or dentists' offices or clinics containing facilities for the examination, diagnosis, treatment, or care of human illnesses.
(4) PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION. Any medical or dental professional corporation or any medical or dental professional association.
(5) PHYSICIAN. Any person licensed to practice medicine in Alabama.
(6) DENTIST. Any person licensed to practice dentistry in Alabama.
(7) HOSPITAL. Such institutions as are defined in Section 22-21-20 as hospitals.
(8) OTHER HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS. Any professional corporation or any person employed by physicians, dentists, and hospitals who are directly involved in the delivery of health care services.
(9) MEDICAL LIABILITY. A finding by a judge, jury, or arbitration panel that a physician, dentist, medical institution, or other health care provider did not meet the applicable standard of care and that such failure was the proximate cause of the injury complained of, resulting in damage to the patient.
(10) BOARD. The board of directors of the joint underwriting association created by Section 27-26-22.Prev Next