Current as of: 2010
As used in this article, unless a different meaning is required by the context, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings:
(a) "Alabama bank" means a bank whose home state is Alabama.
(b) "Alabama state bank" means a bank chartered under the laws of Alabama.
(c) "Bank" has the same meaning as set forth in 12 U.S.C. Â§1813(h); provided that the term "bank" shall not include any "foreign bank" as defined in 12 U.S.C. Â§3101(7), except that such term shall include any foreign bank organized under the laws of a territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, or the Virgin Islands, the deposits of which are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
(d) "Bank holding company" has the meaning set forth in 12 U.S.C. Â§1841(a) (1).
(e) "Bank supervisory agency" means:
(1) The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, and any successor to these agencies; and
(2) Any agency of another state with primary responsibility for chartering and supervising banks.
(f) "Branch" has the same meaning as "domestic branch" defined in Section 3 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act; however, an automated teller machine shall not constitute a branch.
(g) "Control" shall be construed consistently with the provisions of 12 U.S.C. Â§1841(a) (2).
(h) "Home state" means:
(1) With respect to a national bank, the state in which the main office of the bank is located;
(2) With respect to a state bank, the state by which the bank is chartered;
(3) With respect to a foreign bank, the state determined to be the home state of such foreign bank under 12 U.S.C. Â§3103(c).
(i) "Home state regulator" means, with respect to an out-of-state state bank, the bank supervisory agency of the state in which such bank is chartered.
(j) "Host state" means a state, other than the home state of a bank, in which the bank maintains, or seeks to establish and maintain, a branch.
(k) "Insured depository institution" has the meaning set forth in 12 U.S.C. Â§1813(c) (2) and (3).
(l) "Interstate merger transaction" means:
(1) The merger or consolidation of banks with different home states, and the conversion of branches of any bank involved in the merger or consolidation into branches of the resulting bank; or
(2) The purchase of all or substantially all of the assets, including all or substantially all of the branches, of a bank whose home state is different from the home state of the acquiring bank.
(m) "Out-of-state bank" means a bank whose home state is a state other than Alabama.
(n) "Out-of-state state bank" means a bank chartered under the laws of any state other than Alabama.
(o) "Resulting bank" means a bank that has resulted from an interstate merger transaction under this article.
(p) "State" means any state, territory, or other possession of the United States, including the District of Columbia.
(q) "Subsidiary" has the meaning set forth in Section 2(d) of the Bank Holding Company Act.
(r) "Superintendent" means the Superintendent of Banks then in office and, where appropriate, all of his or her successors and predecessors in office.Prev Next