Current as of: 2009
As used in this chapter , unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Agricultural product" means any agricultural commodity or product, whether raw or processed, including any commodity or product derived from livestock, that is marketed in this state for human or livestock consumption.
2. "Council" means the organic advisory council established pursuant to section 190C.2 .
3. "Crop" means a plant or part of a plant intended to be marketed as an agricultural product or fed to livestock.
4. "Department" means the department of agriculture and land stewardship.
5. "Handler" means a person engaged in the business of handling agricultural products, including producers who handle crops or livestock of their own production, except such term shall not include final retailers of agricultural products that do not process agricultural products.
6. "Label" means a display of written, printed, or graphic material on the immediate container of an agricultural product or any such material affixed to any agricultural product or affixed to a bulk container containing an agricultural product, except for package liners or a display of written, printed, or graphic material which contains only information about the weight of the product.
7. "Livestock" means any cattle, sheep, goats, swine, poultry, or equine animals used for food or in the production of food, fiber, feed, or other agricultural-based consumer products; wild or domesticated game; or other nonplant life, except such term shall not include aquatic animals or bees for the production of food, fiber, feed, or other agricultural-based consumer products.
8. "National organic program" means the program administered by the United States department of agriculture pursuant to 7 C.F.R. pt. 205, which implements the federal Organic Food Production Act of 1990, 7 U.S.C. § 6501 et seq.
9. "Organic" means a labeling term that refers to an agricultural product produced in accordance with this chapter .
10. "Organic agricultural product" means an agricultural product that is certified or otherwise qualifies as organic in accordance with the provisions of this chapter as they existed on and after May 20, 1998.
11. "Processing" means cooling, baking, curing, heating, drying, mixing, grinding, churning, separating, extracting, slaughtering, cutting, fermenting, distilling, eviscerating, preserving, dehydrating, freezing, chilling, or otherwise manufacturing, and includes the packaging, canning, jarring, or otherwise enclosing in a food container.
12. "Processor" means a person engaged in the business of processing.
13. "Producer" means a person who engages in the business of growing or producing food, fiber, feed, or other agricultural-based consumer products.
14. "Regional organic association" means a corporation authorized pursuant to section 190C.6 .
15. "Retailer" means a person who sells agricultural products on a retail basis. "Retailer" includes a food establishment as defined in section 137F.1 . "Retailer" also includes a restaurant, delicatessen, bakery, grocery store, or any retail outlet with an in-store restaurant, delicatessen, bakery, salad bar, or other eat-in or carry-out service of processed or prepared raw and ready-to-eat food.
16. "Secretary" means the secretary of agriculture who is the director of the department of agriculture and land stewardship.
U.S. Code Provisions: Organic Foods
Related Articles: Organic Foods