Current as of: 2011
185.035 Mandatory indemnification.
(1) A cooperative shall indemnify a director or officer, to the extent he or she has been successful on the merits or otherwise in the defense of a proceeding, for all reasonable expenses incurred in the proceeding if the director or officer was a party because he or she is a director or officer of the cooperative.
(a) In cases not included under sub. (1), a cooperative shall indemnify a director or officer against liability incurred by the director or officer in a proceeding to which the director or officer was a party because he or she is a director or officer of the cooperative, unless liability was incurred because the director or officer breached or failed to perform a duty he or she owes to the cooperative and the breach or failure to perform constitutes any of the following:
1. A willful failure to deal fairly with the cooperative, its members or stockholders in connection with a matter in which the director or officer has a material conflict of interest.
2. A violation of criminal law, unless the director or officer had reasonable cause to believe his or her conduct was lawful or no reasonable cause to believe his or her conduct was unlawful.
3. A transaction from which the director or officer derived an improper personal profit.
4. Willful misconduct.
(b) Determination of whether indemnification is required under this subsection shall be made under § 185.036.
(c) The termination of a proceeding by judgment, order, settlement or conviction, or upon a plea of no contest or an equivalent plea, does not, by itself, create a presumption that indemnification of the director or officer is not required under this subsection.
(3) A director or officer who seeks indemnification under this section shall make a written request to the cooperative.
(4) Indemnification under this section is not required if the director or officer has previously received indemnification or allowance of expenses from any person, including the cooperative, in connection with the same proceeding.
Questions & Answers: Cooperatives and Associations Generally
Wisconsin Laws: Cooperatives and Associations Generally
U.S. Code Provisions: Cooperatives and Associations Generally