|§ 196.1||What is the Fellowship Program?|
|§ 196.2||How is the Fellowship Program administered?|
|§ 196.3||Grants to post-secondary education institutions|
|§ 196.4||Administering office|
Terms Used In 22 CFR Part 196 - Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs/graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- Act: means the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Approval: means a written authorization, including a competent authority approval, issued by the Associate Administrator, the Associate Administrator's designee, or as otherwise prescribed in the HMR, to perform a function for which prior authorization by the Associate Administrator is required under subchapter C of this chapter (49 CFR parts 171 through 180). See 49 CFR 105.5
- Assistant Attorney General: means the Assistant Attorney General, Civil Rights Division, United States Department of Justice. See 22 CFR 1103.103
- Associate Administrator: means Associate Administrator for Hazardous Materials Safety, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. See 49 CFR 105.5
- Auxiliary aids: means services or devices that enable persons with impaired sensory, manual, or speaking skills to have an equal opportunity to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, programs or activities conducted by the agency. See 22 CFR 1103.103
- Commissioner: means head of the United States Section, International Boundary and Water Commission, United States and Mexico. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Handicapped person: means any person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment. See 22 CFR 1103.103
- Has a record of such an impairment: means has a history of, or has been misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. See 22 CFR 1103.103
- Hazardous material: means a substance or material that the Secretary of Transportation has determined is capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety, and property when transported in commerce, and has designated as hazardous under section 5103 of Federal hazardous materials transportation law (49 U. See 49 CFR 105.5
- HMR: means the regulations at 49 CFR parts 171 through 180. See 49 CFR 105.5
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Major life activities: includes functions such as caring for one's self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working. See 22 CFR 1103.103
- Person: means an individual, firm, copartnership, corporation, company, association, or joint-stock association (including any trustee, receiver, assignee, or similar representative). See 49 CFR 105.5
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Request: means a letter or other written communication seeking records or information under the Freedom of Information Act. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Requester: includes any individual, firm, corporation, organization or other entity. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Review: refers to the process of examining documents located in response to a request that is for commercial use to determine if any portion of that document is permitted to be withheld, and processing any document for disclosure (i. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Search: includes all time spent looking for material that is responsive to a request, including page-by-page or line-by-line identification of material within documents. See 22 CFR 1102.2
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Special permit: means a document issued by the Associate Administrator, the Associate Administrator's designee, or as otherwise prescribed in the HMR, under the authority of 49 U. See 49 CFR 105.5
- State: means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, or any other territory or possession of the United States designated by the Secretary. See 49 CFR 105.5
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transportation: means the movement of property and loading, unloading, or storage incidental to the movement. See 49 CFR 105.5
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Waiver of Preemption: means a decision by the Associate Administrator to forego preemption of a non-Federal requirement--that is, to allow a State, political subdivision or Indian tribe requirement to remain in effect. See 49 CFR 105.5