(a) Filing of claims
Each fire service that engages in the fighting of a fire on property which is under the jurisdiction of the United States may file a claim with the Administrator for the amount of direct expenses and direct losses incurred by such fire service as a result of fighting such fire. The claim shall include such supporting information as the Administrator may prescribe.
Terms Used In 15 USC 2210
- Administrator: means , except as otherwise provided, the Administrator of the United States Fire Administration, within the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See
- Administrator of FEMA: means the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See
- fire service: means any organization in any State consisting of personnel, apparatus, and equipment which has as its purpose protecting property and maintaining the safety and welfare of the public from the dangers of fire, including a private firefighting brigade. See
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Secretary: means , except as otherwise provided, the Secretary of Homeland Security. See
Upon receipt of a claim filed under subsection (a) of this section, the Administrator shall determine–
(1) what payments, if any, to the fire service or its parent jurisdiction, including taxes or payments in lieu of taxes, the United States has made for the support of fire services on the property in question;
(2) the extent to which the fire service incurred additional firefighting costs, over and above its normal operating costs, in connection with the fire which is the subject of the claim; and
(3) the amount, if any, of the additional costs referred to in paragraph (2) of this subsection which were not adequately covered by the payments referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
The Administrator of FEMA shall forward the claim and a copy of the Administrator’s determination under subsection (b)(3) of this section to the Secretary of the Treasury. The Secretary of the Treasury shall, upon receipt of the claim and determination, pay such fire service or its parent jurisdiction, from any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated but subject to reimbursement (from any appropriations which may be available or which may be made available for the purpose) by the Federal department or agency under whose jurisdiction the fire occurred, a sum no greater than the amount determined with respect to the claim under subsection (b)(3) of this section.
In the case of a dispute arising in connection with a claim under this section, the United States Court of Federal Claims shall have jurisdiction to adjudicate the claim and enter judgment accordingly.