Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 49 - Fire Prevention and Control
- Academy: means the National Academy for Fire Prevention and Control. See 15 USC 2203
- Administration: means the United States Fire Administration established pursuant to section 2204 of this title. See 15 USC 2203
- Administrator: means , except as otherwise provided, the Administrator of the United States Fire Administration, within the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See 15 USC 2203
- Administrator of FEMA: means the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See 15 USC 2203
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- alternative trading system: means an organization, association, or group of persons that--
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Board: means the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. See 7 USC 1a
- board of trade: means any organized exchange or other trading facility. See 7 USC 1a
- Commission: means the Commodity Futures Trading Commission established under section 2(a)(2) of this title. See 7 USC 1a
- commodity: means wheat, cotton, rice, corn, oats, barley, rye, flaxseed, grain sorghums, mill feeds, butter, eggs, Solanum tuberosum (Irish potatoes), wool, wool tops, fats and oils (including lard, tallow, cottonseed oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, and all other fats and oils), cottonseed meal, cottonseed, peanuts, soybeans, soybean meal, livestock, livestock products, and frozen concentrated orange juice, and all other goods and articles, except onions (as provided by section 13-1 of this title) and motion picture box office receipts (or any index, measure, value, or data related to such receipts), and all services, rights, and interests (except motion picture box office receipts, or any index, measure, value or data related to such receipts) in which contracts for future delivery are presently or in the future dealt in. See 7 USC 1a
- commodity pool: means any investment trust, syndicate, or similar form of enterprise operated for the purpose of trading in commodity interests, including any--
(i) commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- commodity pool operator: means any person--
(i) engaged in a business that is of the nature of a commodity pool, investment trust, syndicate, or similar form of enterprise, and who, in connection therewith, solicits, accepts, or receives from others, funds, securities, or property, either directly or through capital contributions, the sale of stock or other forms of securities, or otherwise, for the purpose of trading in commodity interests, including any--
(I) commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- commodity trading advisor: means any person who--
(i) for compensation or profit, engages in the business of advising others, either directly or through publications, writings, or electronic media, as to the value of or the advisability of trading in--
(I) any contract of sale of a commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- community development corporation: means a private, nonprofit corporation whose board of directors is comprised of business, civic and community leaders, and whose principal purpose includes the provision of low-income housing or community economic development projects that primarily benefit low-income individuals and communities. See 34 USC 12211
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- contract of sale: includes sales, agreements of sale, and agreements to sell. See 7 USC 1a
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- cooperative association of producers: means any cooperative association, corporate, or otherwise, not less than 75 percent in good faith owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by producers of agricultural products and otherwise complying with sections 291 and 292 of this title, including any organization acting for a group of such associations and owned or controlled by such associations, except that business done for or with the United States, or any agency thereof, shall not be considered either member or nonmember business in determining the compliance of any such association with this chapter. See 7 USC 1a
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- derivatives clearing organization: means a clearinghouse, clearing association, clearing corporation, or similar entity, facility, system, or organization that, with respect to an agreement, contract, or transaction--
(i) enables each party to the agreement, contract, or transaction to substitute, through novation or otherwise, the credit of the derivatives clearing organization for the credit of the parties. See 7 USC 1a
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- electronic trading facility: means a trading facility that--
(A) operates by means of an electronic or telecommunications network. See 7 USC 1a
- eligible contract participant: means --
(A) acting for its own account--
(i) a financial institution. See 7 USC 1a
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- financial institution: means --
- fire service: means any organization in any State consisting of personnel, apparatus, and equipment which has as its purpose protecting property and maintaining the safety and welfare of the public from the dangers of fire, including a private firefighting brigade. See 15 USC 2203
- floor broker: means any person--
(i) who, in or surrounding any pit, ring, post, or other place provided by a contract market for the meeting of persons similarly engaged, shall purchase or sell for any other person--
(I) any commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- floor trader: means any person--
(i) who, in or surrounding any pit, ring, post, or other place provided by a contract market for the meeting of persons similarly engaged, purchases, or sells solely for such person's own account--
(I) any commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- futures commission merchant: means an individual, association, partnership, corporation, or trust--
(aa) engaged in soliciting or in accepting orders for--
(AA) the purchase or sale of a commodity for future delivery. See 7 USC 1a
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Indian tribe: has the meaning given that term in section 5304 of title 25 and "tribal" means of or pertaining to an Indian tribe. See 15 USC 2203
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- interstate commerce: means commerce--
(A) between any State, territory, or possession, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof. See 7 USC 1a
- introducing broker: means any person (except an individual who elects to be and is registered as an associated person of a futures commission merchant)--
(I) is engaged in soliciting or in accepting orders for--
(aa) the purchase or sale of any commodity for future delivery, security futures product, or swap. See 7 USC 1a
- Law clerk: Assist judges with research and drafting of opinions.
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- local: means of or pertaining to any city, town, county, special purpose district, unincorporated territory, or other political subdivision of a State. See 15 USC 2203
- major security-based swap participant: has the meaning given the term in section 3(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U. See 7 USC 1a
- major swap participant: means any person who is not a swap dealer, and--
(i) maintains a substantial position in swaps for any of the major swap categories as determined by the Commission, excluding--
(I) positions held for hedging or mitigating commercial risk. See 7 USC 1a
- marriage: means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. See 1 USC 7
- member: means , with respect to a registered entity or derivatives transaction execution facility, an individual, association, partnership, corporation, or trust--
(A) owning or holding membership in, or admitted to membership representation on, the registered entity or derivatives transaction execution facility. See 7 USC 1a
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- oath: includes affirmation, and "sworn" includes affirmed. See 1 USC 1
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- option: means an agreement, contract, or transaction that is of the character of, or is commonly known to the trade as, an "option" "privilege" "indemnity" "bid" "offer" "put" "call" "advance guaranty" or "decline guaranty". See 7 USC 1a
- person: import s the plural or singular, and includes individuals, associations, partnerships, corporations, and trusts. See 7 USC 1a
- place of public accommodation affecting commerce: means any inn, hotel, or other establishment not owned by the Federal Government that provides lodging to transient guests, except that such term does not include an establishment treated as an apartment building for purposes of any State or local law or regulation or an establishment located within a building that contains not more than 5 rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied as a residence by the proprietor of such establishment. See 15 USC 2203
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Probation officers: Screen applicants for pretrial release and monitor convicted offenders released under court supervision.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- prudential regulator: means --
(A) the Board in the case of a swap dealer, major swap participant, security-based swap dealer, or major security-based swap participant that is--
(i) a State-chartered bank that is a member of the Federal Reserve System. See 7 USC 1a
- Public debt: Cumulative amounts borrowed by the Treasury Department or the Federal Financing Bank from the public or from another fund or account. The public debt does not include agency debt (amounts borrowed by other agencies of the Federal Government). The total public debt is subject to a statutory limit.
- registered entity: means --
(A) a board of trade designated as a contract market under section 7 of this title. See 7 USC 1a
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Secretary: means , except as otherwise provided, the Secretary of Homeland Security. See 15 USC 2203
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Treasury. See 7 USC 1a
- security: means a security as defined in section 2(a)(1) of the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U. See 7 USC 1a
- security futures product: means a security future or any put, call, straddle, option, or privilege on any security future. See 7 USC 1a
- security-based swap: has the meaning given the term in section 3(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U. See 7 USC 1a
- security-based swap dealer: has the meaning given the term in section 3(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U. See 7 USC 1a
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: has the meaning given the term in section 101 of title 6. See 15 USC 2203
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- subscription: includes a mark when the person making the same intended it as such. See 1 USC 1
- swap: includes a master agreement that provides for an agreement, contract, or transaction that is a swap under subparagraph (A), together with each supplement to any master agreement, without regard to whether the master agreement contains an agreement, contract, or transaction that is not a swap pursuant to subparagraph (A). See 7 USC 1a
- swap data repository: means any person that collects and maintains information or records with respect to transactions or positions in, or the terms and conditions of, swaps entered into by third parties for the purpose of providing a centralized recordkeeping facility for swaps. See 7 USC 1a
- swap dealer: means any person who--
(i) holds itself out as a dealer in swaps. See 7 USC 1a
- swap execution facility: means a trading system or platform in which multiple participants have the ability to execute or trade swaps by accepting bids and offers made by multiple participants in the facility or system, through any means of interstate commerce, including any trading facility, that--
(A) facilitates the execution of swaps between persons. See 7 USC 1a
- target area: means any area defined in an application for assistance under this part that has a population whose income does not exceed the median for the area within which the target area is located. See 34 USC 12211
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- trading facility: means a person or group of persons that constitutes, maintains, or provides a physical or electronic facility or system in which multiple participants have the ability to execute or trade agreements, contracts, or transactions--
(i) by accepting bids or offers made by other participants that are open to multiple participants in the facility or system. See 7 USC 1a
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- tribal: means of or pertaining to an Indian tribe. See 15 USC 2203
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See 1 USC 4
- wildland-urban interface: has the meaning given such term in section 6511 of title 16. See 15 USC 2203