(a) In general
From the funds reserved under section 6671(4) of this title for a fiscal year, the Secretary may award grants to–
Terms Used In 20 USC 6675
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
(1) State educational agencies to enable such agencies to support the development of a State-wide STEM master teacher corps; or
(2) State educational agencies, or nonprofit organizations in partnership with State educational agencies, to support the implementation, replication, or expansion of effective science, technology, engineering, and mathematics professional development programs in schools across the State through collaboration with school administrators, principals, and STEM educators.
(b) STEM master teacher corps
In this section, the term “STEM master teacher corps” means a State-led effort to elevate the status of the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics teaching profession by recognizing, rewarding, attracting, and retaining outstanding science, technology, engineering, and mathematics teachers, particularly in high-need and rural schools, by–
(1) selecting candidates to be master teachers in the corps on the basis of–
(A) content knowledge based on a screening examination; and
(B) pedagogical knowledge of and success in teaching;
(2) offering such teachers opportunities to–
(A) work with one another in scholarly communities; and
(B) participate in and lead high-quality professional development; and
(3) providing such teachers with additional appropriate and substantial compensation for the work described in paragraph (2) and in the master teacher community.