The following are the members of the Service:
Terms Used In 22 USC 3903
- abroad: means all areas not included within the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- Foreign Service: means the Foreign Service of the United States. See 22 USC 3902
- Secretary: means the Secretary of State, except that (subject to section 3921 of this title) with reference to the exercise of functions under this Act with respect to any agency authorized by law to utilize the Foreign Service personnel system, such term means the head of that agency. See 22 USC 3902
- United States: when used in a geographic sense, means the several States and the District of Columbia. See 22 USC 3902
(1) Chiefs of mission, appointed under section 3942(a)(1) of this title or assigned under section 3982(c) of this title.
(2) Ambassadors at large, appointed under section 3942(a)(1) of this title.
(3) Members of the Senior Foreign Service, appointed under section 3942(a)(1) or 3943 of this title, who are the corps of leaders and experts for the management of the Service and the performance of its functions.
(4) Foreign Service officers, appointed under section 3942(a)(1) of this title, who have general responsibility for carrying out the functions of the Service.
(5) Foreign Service personnel, United States citizens appointed under section 3943 of this title, who provide skills and services required for effective performance by the Service.
(6) Foreign national employees, foreign nationals appointed under section 3943 of this title, who provide clerical, administrative, technical, fiscal, and other support at Foreign Service posts abroad.
(7) Consular agents, appointed under section 3943 of this title by the Secretary of State, who provide consular and related services as authorized by the Secretary of State at specified locations abroad where no Foreign Service posts are situated.