U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 20 – Regulation of Insurance
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 20 - Regulation of Insurance
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Interrogatories: Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a lawsuit.
- master: includes the pilot or other person in command of an aircraft. See 10 USC 8851
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- State: includes the several States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the District of Columbia. See 15 USC 1015
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- vessel: includes aircraft. See 10 USC 8851