Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 20
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Attorney General: means the Attorney General of the United States or his designee. See 34 USC 10251
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- institution of higher education: means any such institution as defined by section 1001 of title 20, subject, however, to such modifications and extensions as the Office may determine to be appropriate. See 34 USC 10251
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- State: includes the several States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the District of Columbia. See 15 USC 1015