Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 15 > Chapter 97
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- auxiliary aids and services: includes --
(A) qualified interpreters or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments. See 47 USC 308
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- beginning farmer or rancher: means such term as defined by the Secretary. See 14 USC 252
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- borrower: means any farm borrower who has outstanding obligations to the Secretary under any farmer program loan, without regard to whether the loan has been accelerated, but does not include any farm borrower all of whose loans and accounts have been foreclosed on or liquidated, voluntarily or otherwise. See 14 USC 252
- commuter authority: has the meaning given such term in section 24102(4) 1 of title 49. See 42 USC 12161
- commuter rail transportation: has the meaning given the term "commuter rail passenger transportation" in section 24102(5) 1 of title 49. See 42 USC 12161
- comprehensive plan: means the comprehensive plan prepared under section 5313 of this title. See 12 USC 2279c–1
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- debt forgiveness: means reducing or terminating a farmer program loan made or guaranteed under this chapter, in a manner that results in a loss to the Secretary, through--
(i) writing down or writing off a loan under section 2001 of this title. See 14 USC 252
- designated public transportation: means transportation (other than public school transportation) by bus, rail, or any other conveyance (other than transportation by aircraft or intercity or commuter rail transportation (as defined in section 12161 of this title)) that provides the general public with general or special service (including charter service) on a regular and continuing basis. See 42 USC 12141
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- direct loan: means a loan made or insured from funds in the account created by section 1929 of this title. See 14 USC 252
- farmer: includes a person who is engaged in, or who, with assistance afforded under this chapter, intends to engage in, fish farming. See 14 USC 252
- farming: shall be deemed to include fish farming. See 14 USC 252
- insure: as used in this chapter includes guarantee, which means to guarantee the payment of a loan originated, held, and serviced by a private financial agency or other lender approved by the Secretary. See 14 USC 252
- intercity rail transportation: means transportation provided by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation. See 42 USC 12161
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- marriage: means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word "spouse" refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife. See 19 USC 2296
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- nutrition monitoring and related research: means the set of activities necessary to provide timely information about the role and status of factors that bear on the contribution that nutrition makes to the health of the people of the United States, including--
(A) dietary, nutritional, and health status measurements. See 12 USC 2279c–1
- nutritional quality: means --
(A) the appropriate levels of individual nutrients in the diet. See 12 USC 2279c–1
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- public entity: means --
(A) any State or local government. See 42 USC 12131
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- qualified beginning farmer or rancher: means an applicant, regardless of whether the applicant is participating in a program under section 1935 of this title--
(A) who is eligible for assistance under this chapter. See 14 USC 252
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- rail passenger car: means , with respect to intercity rail transportation, single-level and bi-level coach cars, single-level and bi-level dining cars, single-level and bi-level sleeping cars, single-level and bi-level lounge cars, and food service cars. See 42 USC 12161
- responsible person: means --
(A) in the case of a station more than 50 percent of which is owned by a public entity, such public entity. See 42 USC 12161
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Transportation. See 42 USC 12141
- State: shall include each of the several States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands of the United States, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and, to the extent the Secretary determines it to be feasible and appropriate, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 14 USC 252
- State: means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See 47 USC 308
- station: means the portion of a property located appurtenant to a right-of-way on which intercity or commuter rail transportation is operated, where such portion is used by the general public and is related to the provision of such transportation, including passenger platforms, designated waiting areas, ticketing areas, restrooms, and, where a public entity providing rail transportation owns the property, concession areas, to the extent that such public entity exercises control over the selection, design, construction, or alteration of the property, but such term does not include flag stops. See 42 USC 12161
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See 19 USC 2294
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 19 USC 2293