|Subchapter I||General Provisions|
|Subchapter II||Drug Abuse Policy Coordination|
|Subchapter IV||Other Federal Programs|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 21 > Chapter 16
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal agency: shall mean any executive department or officer (including the President), independent establishment, commission, board, bureau, division, or office in the executive branch of the United States Government, or other agency of the United States, including corporations in which the United States owns all or a majority of the stock, directly or indirectly. See 42 USC 1592n
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- going Federal rate of interest: means "going Federal rate" as that term is defined in the United States Housing Act of 1937 [42 U. See 42 USC 1590
- governing body of the municipality or county: means the governing body of the city, village, or other municipality having general governmental authority over the area in which the housing involved is located or, if the housing is not located in such a municipality, the term means the governing body of the county or parish in which the housing is located, or if the housing is located in the District of Columbia the term means the Council of the District of Columbia. See 42 USC 1590
- housing: means any housing under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (including trailers and other mobile or portable housing) constructed, acquired, or made available under subchapters II to VII of this chapter or Public Law 781, Seventy-sixth Congress, approved September 9, 1940, or Public Laws 9, 73, or 353, Seventy-seventh Congress, approved, respectively, March 1, 1941, May 24, 1941, and December 17, 1941, or any other law, and includes in addition to dwellings any structures, appurtenances, and other property, real or personal, acquired for or held in connection therewith. See 42 USC 1590
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- National defense: shall mean (1) the operations and activities of the armed forces, the Atomic Energy Commission, or any other Government department or agency directly or indirectly and substantially concerned with the national defense, (2) other operations and activities directly or indirectly and substantially concerned with the operations and activities of the armed forces and the Atomic Energy Commission, (3) activities in connection with the Mutual Defense Assistance Act of 1949, as amended, or (4) the provision of community facilities or services necessary to the health, safety, or public welfare of the inhabitants of a town or community which has been relocated as a result of the acquisition (through eminent domain or purchase in lieu thereof) of its former site by or on behalf of the Atomic Energy Commission for national-defense activities. See 42 USC 1592n
- Nonprofit agency: shall mean any agency no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private stockholder or individual. See 42 USC 1592n
- Project: shall mean housing or community facilities acquired, developed, or constructed with financial assistance pursuant to this subchapter. See 42 USC 1592n
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: means any State, Territory, dependency, or possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia. See 42 USC 1590
- State: shall mean the several States, the District of Columbia, and Territories, and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 1592n
- State: as used in this subchapter shall include Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam. See
- temporary housing: means any housing (as defined in (b)) which the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development has determined to be "of a temporary character" pursuant to subchapters II to VII of this chapter and shall also include any such housing after rights thereto have been relinquished or transferred under this subchapter or section 1575 of this title. See 42 USC 1590
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Veteran: shall mean a person, or the family of a person, who has served in the active military or naval service of the United States at any time (i) on or after September 16, 1940, and prior to July 26, 1947, (ii) on or after April 6, 1917, and prior to November 11, 1918, or (iii) on or after June 27, 1950, and prior to such date thereafter as shall be determined by the President, and who shall have been discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable or who shall be still serving therein. See 42 USC 1592n