|Subchapter III||Federal Demonstration and Research Program: Federal Housing Administration Requirements|
|Subchapter IV||Prohibition Against Future Use of Lead-Based Paint|
|Subchapter V||General Provisions|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 42 > Chapter 63 - Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- lead-based paint: means any paint containing more than five-tenths of 1 per centum lead by weight (calculated as lead metal) in the total nonvolatile content of the paint, or the equivalent measure of lead in the dried film of paint already applied, or both. See 42 USC 4841
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 42 USC 201
- Service: means the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- State: means the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the territories and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 4841
- State: includes , in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 201
- Surgeon General: means the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- units of general local government: means (A) any city, county, township, town, borough, parish, village, or other general purpose political subdivision of a State, (B) any combination of units of general local government in one or more States, (C) an Indian tribe, or (D) with respect to lead-based paint poisoning elimination activities in their urban areas, the territories and possessions of the United States. See 42 USC 4841
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 1 USC 3
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1