|Chapter 700||Ports and Waterways Safety|
|Chapter 701||Port Security|
|Chapter 703||Maritime Security|
|Chapter 705||Maritime Drug Law Enforcement|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 46 > Subtitle VII
- agency: includes any department, independent establishment, commission, administration, authority, board or bureau of the United States or any corporation in which the United States has a proprietary interest, unless the context shows that such term was intended to be used in a more limited sense. See
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Board: means the Climate Program Policy Board. See
- Commission: means the Atomic Energy Commission. See 42 USC 2304
- community: means that area at--
(1) Oak Ridge, Tennessee, designated on a map on file at the principal office of the Commission, entitled "Minimum Geographic Area, Oak Ridge, Tennessee" bearing the legend "Boundary Line, Minimum Geographic Area, Oak Ridge, Tennessee" and marked "Approved, 21 April 1955, K. See 42 USC 2304
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- department: means one of the executive departments enumerated in section 1 of Title 5, unless the context shows that such term was intended to describe the executive, legislative, or judicial branches of the government. See
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- house: includes the lot on which the house stands. See 42 USC 2304
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See
- Inspector General: means the Inspector General appointed under section 202(e) of this title. See 39 USC 102
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- marine environment: means --
(A) the navigable waters of the United States and the land and resources therein and thereunder. See 46 USC 70031
- mortgage: shall include deeds of trust and such other classes of lien as are given to secure advances on, or the unpaid purchase price of real estate under the laws of the State in which the real estate is located. See 42 USC 2304
- municipal installation: includes , without limitation, schools, hospitals, police and fire protection systems, sewerage and refuse disposal plants, water supply and distribution installations, streets and roads, libraries, parks, playgrounds and recreational means, municipal government buildings, other properties suitable for municipal or comparable local public service purposes, and any fixtures, equivalent, or other property appropriate to the operation, maintenance or repair of the foregoing. See 42 USC 2304
- navigable waters of the United States: includes all waters of the territorial sea of the United States as described in Presidential Proclamation No. See 46 USC 70031
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Office: means the National Climate Program Office. See
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See
- organization: means a person other than an individual. See
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Postal Service: means the United States Postal Service established under title 39, and every officer and employee of that Service, whether or not such officer or employee has taken the oath of office. See
- project area: means that area which on August 4, 1955, constitutes the Federal area at Oak Ridge, Tennessee, or Hanford, Washington, or that area which, on the date Los Alamos is included within this chapter, constitutes the County of Los Alamos, New Mexico, excluding therefrom, however, that land which is, on said date, under the administrative control of the National Park Service of the Department of the Interior. See 42 USC 2304
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- residential building: means any building used as a residence which is not a new building to which final standards under sections 6833(a) and 6834 1 of this title apply and which has a system for heating, cooling, or both. See 42 USC 8235
- residential property: shall include each separate unit of a residential structure which the Commission has classified as a residential structure containing two or more separate single family units pursuant to section 2331(c) of this title. See 42 USC 2304
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating, except that such term means the Secretary of Transportation with respect to the application of this chapter to the Saint Lawrence Seaway. See 46 USC 70031
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Education. See
- single family: when used in connection with "house" or "residential property" shall include each separate unit of a residential structure which the Commission has classified as a residential structure containing two or more separate single family units pursuant to section 2331(c) of this title. See 42 USC 2304
- State: means a State, territory, possession, Puerto Rico, or the District of Columbia. See
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone. See
- United States: includes the several States, territories, and possessions of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. See
- utility: means any electrical distribution system, any natural gas distribution system, any public transportation system, or any public communication system, and any fixtures, equipment, or other property appropriate to the operation, maintenance or repair of the foregoing. See 42 USC 2304
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See