(a) A limited liability company shall have the power to render professional services if it complies with the rules of the licensing authority for such profession.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 10A-5A-8.01
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Foreign limited liability company: means a limited liability company governed by the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state which would be a limited liability company if governed by the laws of this state. See Alabama Code 45-4-100.01
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- LICENSING AUTHORITY: The state court, state regulatory licensing board, or other like agency which has the power to issue a license or other legal authorization to render professional services. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY: A limited liability company as defined in Chapter 5A. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Member: means a person admitted under Section 10A-5A-4. See Alabama Code 45-4-100.01
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICE: Any type of service that may lawfully be performed only pursuant to a license issued by a state court, state regulatory licensing board, or other like agency pursuant to state laws. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
(b) Every individual who renders professional services as a member or as an employee of a limited liability company shall be liable for any negligent or wrongful act or omission in which the individual personally participates to the same extent the individual would be liable if the individual rendered the services as a sole practitioner.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), the personal liability of a member of any limited liability company engaged in providing professional services shall be governed by Section 10A-5A-3.01.
(d) The personal liability of a member, manager, or employee of a foreign limited liability company engaged in providing professional services shall be determined under the law of the jurisdiction in which the foreign limited liability company is organized.
(e) Nothing in this article shall restrict or limit in any manner the authority or duty of a licensing authority with respect to individuals rendering a professional service within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority. Nothing in this article shall restrict or limit any law, rule, or regulation pertaining to standards of professional conduct.
(f) Nothing in this article shall limit the authority of a licensing authority to impose requirements in addition to those stated in this chapter on any limited liability company or foreign limited liability company rendering professional services within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority.
(g) A member’s transferrable interest in a limited liability company organized to render professional services may be voluntarily transferred only to a qualified person.