In cases of willful nonpayment of the fine and costs, the defendant shall either be imprisoned in the county jail or, at the discretion of the court, sentenced to hard labor for the county as follows:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 15-18-62
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
(1) If the fine and costs do not exceed two hundred fifty dollars ($250), no more than 10 days;
(2) If the fine and costs exceed two hundred fifty dollars ($250) but do not exceed five hundred dollars ($500), no more than 20 days;
(3) If the fine and costs exceed five hundred dollars ($500), but do not exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), no more than 30 days; and
(4) For every additional one hundred dollars ($100) or fractional part thereof, 4 days.