Such corporation shall have all the rights, privileges and franchises necessary to a promotion of the end of its creation and shall be charged with all corresponding duties, liabilities and responsibilities. Such corporation may hold and may lease, sell or in any other manner not inconsistent with the object or terms of the grant or grants under which it holds, dispose of any property, real or personal, or any estate or interest therein, remaining of the original or any subsequent grant by Congress, or by this state, or by any person, or accruing to the corporation from any source, as to it may seem best for the purposes of its institution; and any and all sales of property, real or personal, heretofore made pursuant to and by authority of action of the board of trustees of said institute and written instruments of conveyance of title thereto purporting to have been made pursuant to such action are hereby ratified and confirmed as acts of the institute, and similar sales and instruments of conveyance made during the time when the name of the institute was the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama are likewise ratified and confirmed as acts of said Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama.
(School Code 1927, §522; Acts 1931, No. 519, p. 633; Acts 1939, No. 393, p. 516; Code 1940, T. 52, §475.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-48-2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608