Such corporation shall have all the rights, privileges, and franchises necessary to the promotion of the ends of its creation, and shall be charged with all corresponding duties, liabilities, and responsibilities. Such corporation may hold and may lease, sell, or, in any other manner not inconsistent with the object or terms of the grant or grants under which it holds, dispose of any property, real or personal, or any estate or interest therein remaining, of any grant by any governmental unit or by any person, or accruing to the corporation from any source, as it may deem best for the purposes of the university. The president with the approval of the board shall be authorized to execute any lease, deed, or other instrument of conveyance on behalf of the corporation, without additional approval.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 16-53-2
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
The board of trustees shall have the exclusive authority over and jurisdiction of land, buildings, and other capital improvements now existing on or hereinafter provided for such campus. No contract for capital improvements, alterations, remodeling, and changing of capital improvements shall be made without the authorization and approval of the board of trustees, and which approval shall be granted by appropriate resolutions of the body. Any contract, agreement, or other act relating to capital improvements, except for maintenance, repairs, and maintaining existing facilities, shall be void and of no effect unless authorized by resolutions of the board.
All acts of The University of West Alabama lawfully done prior to July 1, 2006, by the board of trustees or by the executive officer, are hereby approved, ratified, and confirmed.