When used in this chapter, the following words shall have the following meanings:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 22-5B-3
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) ADULT WITH SPECIAL NEED. A person 19 years of age or older who requires care or supervision to meet the person’s basic needs or prevent physical self-injury or injury to others, or avoid placement in an institutional facility.
(2) AGING AND DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER. An entity that provides a coordinated system for providing information on long-term care programs and options, personal counseling, and consumer access to publicly support long-term care programs.
(3) CHILD WITH SPECIAL NEED. A person under age 19 who requires care or supervision beyond that required for children generally to meet the child’s basic needs or prevent physical injury to self or others.
(4) ELIGIBLE STATE AGENCY. A state agency that administers the Older Americans Act or the state’s Medicaid program or one designated by the Governor, and is an aging and disability resource center working in collaboration with a state respite coalition or organization.
(5) FAMILY CAREGIVER. Family members, foster parents, or other adults providing ongoing unpaid care for an adult or child with special needs.
(6) LIFESPAN RESPITE CARE. Coordinated systems of accessible, community-based respite care services for family caregivers of children or adults with special needs.
(7) RESPITE. Planned or emergency care provided to a child or adult with a special need in order to provide temporary relief to the family caregiver of that child or adult.
(8) RESPITE PROVIDER. An individual who provides a temporary break or period of relief to family caregivers.
(9) SPECIAL NEED. A disability or chronic illness as defined in Public Law 109-442.
(10) STAKEHOLDER. A person, group, organization, or system that affects or can be affected by an organization’s actions.