(a) Any person of competent legal capacity may contract for insurance.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-14-5
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(b) Any minor of the age of 15 years or more, as determined by the nearest birthday, may, notwithstanding his minority, contract for annuities, or for insurance upon his own life, body, health, property, liabilities, or other interests or on the person of another in whom the minor has an insurable interest. Such a minor shall, notwithstanding such minority, be deemed competent to exercise all rights and powers with respect to, or under:
(1) Any contract for annuity or for insurance upon his own life, body, or health; or
(2) Any contract such minor effected upon his own property, liabilities, or other interests or on the person of another, as might be exercised by a person of full legal age, and may at any time surrender his interest in any such contracts and give valid discharge for any benefit accruing or money payable thereunder.
Such a minor shall not, by reason of his minority, be entitled to rescind, avoid or repudiate the contract nor to rescind, avoid or repudiate any exercise of a right or privilege thereunder; except, that such a minor, not otherwise emancipated, shall not be bound by any unperformed agreement to pay by promissory note or otherwise, any premium on any such annuity or insurance contract.
(c) Any annuity contract or policy of life or disability insurance procured by or for a minor under subsection (b) of this section, shall be made payable either to the minor or his estate or to a person having an insurable interest in the life of the minor.