In addition to assets impliedly excluded by the provisions of Section 27-37-1, the following expressly shall not be allowed as assets in any determination of the financial condition of an insurer:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 27-37-2
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
(1) Good will, trade names, and other like intangible assets;
(2) Advances to officers, directors, and controlling stockholders, other than policy loans, unless the same are secured by collateral satisfactory to the commissioner, and advances to employees, agents, and other persons on personal security only;
(3) Stock of such insurer owned by it, or any equity therein, or loans secured thereby or any material proportionate interest in such stock acquired, or held, through the ownership by such insurer of an interest in another firm, corporation, or business unit;
(4) Furniture, fixtures, furnishings, safes, vehicles, libraries, stationery, literature, and supplies, except:
a. Such personal property as is required through foreclosure of chattel mortgages under loans insured or guaranteed under provisions of the National Housing Act or any act of Congress relating to veterans benefits;
b. Such as is reasonably necessary for the maintenance and operation of real estate held by it other than real estate for home office, branch office, and similar purposes; and
c. In the case of title insurers, abstract plant and equipment not to exceed 50 percent of the paid-in capital stock of such title insurer; and
(5) The amount, if any, by which the aggregate book value of investments as carried in the ledger assets of the insurer exceeds the aggregate value thereof, as determined under this title.