(a) A person subject to a penalty pursuant to Section 32-5B-5, shall not be assessed court costs on a conviction.

Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-5B-8

  • Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
  • department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • driver: Every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • traffic: Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars, and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
  • vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23

(b) In any case brought by a law enforcement officer employed by the Department of Public Safety, sixty percent (60%) of the funds generated shall be allocated to the Department of Public Safety, Law Enforcement Division. The remaining forty percent (40%) of the funds shall be allocated to the State General Fund.

(c) A law enforcement officer may not search or inspect a motor vehicle, its content, the driver, or a passenger solely because of a violation of this chapter.

(d) Each state, county, and municipal police department must maintain statistical information on traffic stops of this nature on minorities and report that information monthly to the Department of Public Safety and the Attorney General.

(Act 99-397, p. 660, §§3-5.)