This chapter shall not apply to any of the following vehicles or operators:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-5
- dealer: Every person engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging vehicles who has an established place of business for such purpose in this state and to whom current dealer registration plates have been issued by the Department of Revenue. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- director: The Secretary of the Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of Alabama. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- SPECIAL MOBILE EQUIPMENT: Every vehicle not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and only incidentally operated or moved over a highway, including, but not limited to: Ditch digging apparatus, well boring apparatus, and road construction and maintenance machinery such as asphalt spreaders, bituminous mixers, bucket loaders, tractors other than truck tractors, ditchers, levelling graders, finishing machines, motor graders, road rollers, scarifiers, earth moving carry-alls and scrapers, power shovels and drag lines, and self-propelled cranes, and earth moving equipment. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(1) Trailers as defined in Section 40-12-240, including, but not limited to, semitrailers, travel trailers, boat trailers, pole trailers, and utility trailers.
(2) Motor vehicles owned and operated by the United States or any agency thereof, the State of Alabama, or any political or governmental subdivision thereof.
(3) Any motor vehicle which is subject to the supervision and regulation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or the Alabama Public Service Commission and for which the owner and/or operator has filed evidence of financial responsibility, the liability under which is not less than that required of the operator of a motor vehicle under the terms of this chapter.
(4) Motor vehicles covered by a certificate of self-insurance issued by the director under the provisions of Section 32-7-34.
(5) Other motor vehicles complying with laws which require the vehicles to be insured in amounts meeting or exceeding the minimum amounts required under Section 32-7-6(c).
(6) Implements of husbandry as defined in Section 32-8-2(5).
(7) Any vehicle moved solely by animal power.
(8) Special mobile equipment, as defined in Section 32-8-2(20).
(9) Inoperable or stored motor vehicles that are not operated, as defined by rules and regulations of the department and not subject to the provisions of Section 32-7A-7.
(10) Motor vehicles owned by a licensed motor vehicle dealer, wholesaler, rebuilder, or reconditioner and held in inventory that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.
(11) Vehicles properly registered in another jurisdiction and not legally required to be registered pursuant to Chapter 12 of Title 40.
(12) Vehicles owned by a bank, a subsidiary or affiliate of a bank, or finance company, acquired as an incident to their regular business, that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.
(13) Vehicles as prescribed by the commissioner that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.