(a) A law enforcement officer may perform an unattended vessel check on a vessel that has been left unattended on public property. The unattended vessel check shall consist of actions that are reasonably necessary to determine that the unattended vessel does not contain an injured or incapacitated person and to determine that the unattended vessel does not pose a threat to public health or safety.
Terms Used In Alabama Code 33-5A-10
- agency: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: An officer of a county, municipality, or any state agency, department, or subdivision thereof, who is certified by the Alabama Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- vessel: Every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane, capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
(b) A law enforcement officer who performs an unattended vessel check shall complete and attach to the vessel an unattended vessel check card. Unattended vessel check cards shall be in a form and attached to unattended vessels in a manner as may be specified by rule of the agency. Unattended vessel check cards shall be serially numbered and shall be a distinctive color as determined by the agency.