Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 33 > Chapter 5A
- ABANDONED VESSEL: A vessel left unattended for four or more weeks after a hurricane, tropical storm, or other natural event resulting in a declaration of emergency by the Governor or, in the absence of a hurricane, tropical storm, or other natural event resulting in a declaration of emergency by the Governor, any of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- agency: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- DERELICT VESSEL: A vessel in the waters of this state that satisfies any of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER: An officer of a county, municipality, or any state agency, department, or subdivision thereof, who is certified by the Alabama Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- vessel: Every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane, capable of being used as a means of transportation on the water. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1
- WATERS OF THIS STATE: Waters of this state as defined in Section 33-5-3. See Alabama Code 33-5A-1