To carry out the provisions of this chapter, there shall be a State Board for Registration of Architects, consisting of six members, each of whom shall be appointed by the Governor from a list of three persons selected as follows:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 34-2-38
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) All appointments as members of the board shall be architects registered and licensed pursuant to this chapter. The board shall be appointed from the following districts: One from the northern district; two from the north central district; two from the central district, and one from the southern district. The northern district shall be comprised of the Counties of Colbert, Cullman, DeKalb, Franklin, Jackson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, and Winston; the north central district shall be comprised of the Counties of Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, Etowah, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Jefferson, Lamar, Pickens, Randolph, Shelby, St. Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tuscaloosa, and Walker; the central district shall be comprised of the Counties of Autauga, Barbour, Bullock, Butler, Chambers, Chilton, Coffee, Coosa, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Dallas, Elmore, Geneva, Henry, Houston, Lee, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Montgomery, Perry, Pike, Russell, Tallapoosa, and Wilcox; and the southern district shall be comprised of the Counties of Baldwin, Choctaw, Clarke, Conecuh, Escambia, Mobile, Monroe, and Washington.
(2) Thirty days before the expiration of a board member’s term, or for filling a vacancy otherwise occurring, a nominating committee of six members shall be selected by secret ballot from the district entitled to fill the vacancy. The nominating committee shall be elected at a meeting in the district called by the executive director of the board, who shall give notice in writing of the time and place of the called meeting to each architect in the district at least 30 days in advance of the date set for the meeting. Those architects present at the called meeting may vote on the membership of the nominating committee. After the selection of the nominating committee from the district where the vacancy occurs, there shall be a meeting of the committee with the board at the same place within five days to select, by secret ballot, the names of three persons to be sent to the Governor by the executive director of the board. The Governor shall appoint one of the named persons to the board. In appointing members to the board, the Governor shall select those persons whose appointments, to the extent possible, ensure that the membership of the board is inclusive and reflects the racial, gender, geographic, urban/rural, and economic diversity of the state.
(3) The term of office of the members of the board shall be four years and until their successors are appointed and qualified.
(4) A member shall reside and have his or her principal office in the district from which appointed. A member’s place on the board shall become vacant if the member removes either his or her residence or principal office from that district.