For the purpose of this article, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed to them in this section:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 40-25-40
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
(1) PERSON. Any individual, firm, company, partnership, association, corporation, receiver or trustee, or any other group or combination acting as a unit, and the plural as well as the singular number.
(2) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(3) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of Revenue of the State of Alabama.
(4) STORAGE. Any keeping or retention in this state for any purpose except sale in the regular course of business or subsequent use solely outside this state of the commodities subject to the provisions of this article.
(5) USE. The exercise of any right or power over the commodities subject to the provisions of this article, incident to the ownership of those commodities or by any transaction where possession is given; except, that it shall not include the sale of those commodities in the regular course of business.
(6) IN THIS STATE. Within the exterior limits of the State of Alabama, and includes all territory within such limits owned by or ceded to the United States of America.
(7) TOBACCO PRODUCT. Cigars, cheroots, stogies, cigarettes, smoking tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff or tobacco in any form or condition or any substitute therefor.
(8) RETAIL SALE or SALE AT RETAIL. All sales except sales by wholesalers to licensed retail dealers or other wholesalers for resale.
(9) REGISTERED TAXPAYER. Any person who purchases tobacco products subject to the tax imposed by this article and who has been registered by the department as a responsible taxpayer.