(a) The Legislature of Alabama makes the following findings and statements:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 41-17A-1
(1) Energy use associated with the operation of state motor vehicle fleets exacerbates local air quality problems and results in greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change.
(2) Agencies and departments of state government have a significant role to play in improving local air quality and reducing greenhouse gas emissions by improving the energy efficiency of their fleets and reducing emissions from fleet operations.
(3) Improving the energy efficiency of state fleets will result in a significant monetary savings in the long term.
(b) The Legislature expresses its intent as follows:
(1) To express its power as a participant in the marketplace to ensure that purchases and expenditures of public monies are made in a manner consistent with the policies of improving local air quality, reducing Alabama’s water pollution of hazardous waste oil, reducing the state’s petroleum dependency, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
(2) To establish a green fleets policy in conjunction with establishing life cycle costing as a method of addressing the management, operation, and procurement of fleet vehicles under the control of the State of Alabama in order to improve the energy efficiency of its fleets and reduce emissions from its fleets.