In the following cases, every agreement is void unless such agreement or some note or memorandum thereof expressing the consideration is in writing and subscribed by the party to be charged therewith or some other person by him thereunto lawfully authorized in writing:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 8-9-2
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Bequeath: To gift property by will.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
(1) Every agreement which, by its terms, is not to be performed within one year from the making thereof;
(2) Every special promise by an executor or administrator to answer damages out of his own estate;
(3) Every special promise to answer for the debt, default or miscarriage of another;
(4) Every agreement, promise or undertaking made upon consideration of marriage, except mutual promises to marry;
(5) Every contract for the sale of lands, tenements or hereditaments, or of any interest therein, except leases for a term not longer than one year, unless the purchase money, or a portion thereof is paid and the purchaser is put in possession of the land by the seller;
(6) Every agreement, contract or promise to make a will or to devise or bequeath any real or personal property or right, title or interest therein;
(7) Every agreement or commitment to lend money, delay or forebear repayment thereof or to modify the provisions of such an agreement or commitment except for consumer loans with a principal amount financed less than $25,000;
(8) Notwithstanding Section 7-8-113, every agreement for the sale or purchase of securities other than through the facilities of a national stock exchange or of the over-the-counter securities market.