Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 13A
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- associate: When used to indicate a relationship with:
(A) a domestic or foreign entity or organization for which the person is:
(i) an officer or governing person; or
(ii) a beneficial owner of 10 percent or more of a class of voting ownership interests or similar securities of the entity or organization;
(B) a trust or estate in which the person has a substantial beneficial interest or for which the person serves as trustee or in a similar fiduciary capacity;
(C) the person's spouse or a relative of the person related by consanguinity or affinity within the fifth degree who resides with the person; or
(D) a governing person or an affiliate or officer of the person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- cooperative: Includes an employee cooperative as defined in Chapter 11. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- JUDGE OF PROBATE: The judge of probate of the county in which a domestic entity's certificate of formation is filed, or, with respect to a statement of authority under Chapter 8A, which is to be filed in the real property records of a particular county, the judge of probate of the county in which that statement is filed. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- license: A license, certificate of registration, or other legal authorization. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- officer: An individual elected, appointed, or designated as an officer of an entity by the entity's governing authority or under the entity's governing documents. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- SECRETARY OF STATE: The Secretary of State of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06