Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 13B
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- day: When used in the computation of time excludes the first day and includes the last day of the period so computed, unless the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, in which event the period runs until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, a Sunday, or a legal holiday. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- director: An individual who serves on the board of directors, by whatever name known, of a foreign or domestic corporation. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- entity: A domestic entity or foreign entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- NONPROFIT CORPORATION: A domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- officer: An individual elected, appointed, or designated as an officer of an entity by the entity's governing authority or under the entity's governing documents. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- organization: A corporation, limited partnership, general partnership, limited liability company, business trust, real estate investment trust, joint venture, joint stock company, cooperative, association, bank, insurance company, credit union, savings and loan association, or other organization, regardless of whether the organization is for profit, not for profit, nonprofit, domestic, or foreign. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- subsidiary: An entity or organization at least 50 percent of:
(A) the ownership or membership interest of which is owned by a parent entity or parent organization; or
(B) the voting power of which is possessed by a parent entity or parent organization. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06