Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 26B
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.