Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 27 > Chapter 29A
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.