Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 27 > Chapter 38
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- board: The Board of Corrections. See Alabama Code 14-8-60
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Board of Corrections. See Alabama Code 14-8-60
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- inmate: A person either male or female, who has been convicted of a felony and sentenced to a term of confinement and treatment in a state correctional institution under the jurisdiction of the board and who is participating in the Alabama Board of Corrections work release or prerelease programs. See Alabama Code 14-8-60
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- STATE CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION: Any correctional institution under the jurisdiction of the board. See Alabama Code 14-8-60