|Article 1||General Provisions||34-12-1 – 34-12-12|
|Article 2||Board of Registration||34-12-30 – 34-12-37|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 34 > Chapter 12
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- AUTHORIZING ACT: Any of the following statutes or acts:
a. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- bank: A bank, trust company, national banking association, savings bank, or industrial bank. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- broker: A person, including a bank, lawfully engaged in the business of effecting transactions in securities for the account of others and includes a broker lawfully engaged in buying and selling securities for his own account. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- commission: The Alabama Securities Commission existing under Article 2 (commencing with Section 8-6-50) of Chapter 6 of Title 8. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries of the State of Alabama or his duly authorized representative. See Alabama Code 32-6-190
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- corporation: The public corporation authorized to be created by this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-35-242.05
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- dependents: The spouse, children, or other dependents of the retired employee, as defined by and covered under the documents governing the governmental entities' benefit plans that provide post-employment benefits. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- director: The director appointed by the commission pursuant to Section 8-6-55 or, in the absence of the director or his or her inability to act, the deputy director appointed by the director as provided in Section 8-6-57. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- employee: Any person who is an employee of any governmental entity located in the state who may become eligible for post-employment benefits from the governmental entity. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- employer: Any governmental entity that sponsors, in whole or in part, post-employment benefits. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Firefighter: means a current member or members of, or a retired member or members from, a paid, part-paid or volunteer fire department of a city, town, county, or other subdivision of the state or civilian federal firefighters or of a public corporation organized for the purpose of providing water, water systems, fire protection services, or fire protection facilities in the state; and such words shall include the chief, assistant chief, wardens, engineers, captains, firemen, and all other officers and employees of such departments who actually engage in fire fighting or in rendering first aid in case of drownings or asphyxiation at the scene of action. See Alabama Code 32-6-270
- firm: Any partnership, association or other unincorporated business organization. See Alabama Code 32-6-190
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY: Any political subdivision of the state, any department, agency, board, commission, or authority of any such political subdivision, or any public corporation, authority, agency, instrumentality, board, commission, state college, university, or other governmental entity controlled by or otherwise associated with any political subdivision. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- improvident: With respect to any industrial revenue bonds the term means that there is a reasonable probability that the bonds will be deficient in one or more of the following respects:
a. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- INDUSTRIAL ACCESS ROADS AND BRIDGES: The planning, design, and construction of roads and bridges on the public highway and street system providing access to active military installations or property used primarily for military purposes or to projects that conduct an activity specified in subdivision (1) of Section 40-18-372, including necessary right-of-way and utility activities provided by state law. See Alabama Code 45-35-242.05
- INDUSTRIAL REVENUE BONDS: The bonds, warrants, notes, certificates of indebtedness, or other obligations issued by any issuer under the authority of the authorizing act to finance or refinance a project or to refund bonds, but does not include either of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- issuer: A person who places, or authorizes the placing of, his name on a security other than as a transfer agent to evidence that it represents a share, participation, or other interest in his property or in an enterprise or to evidence his duty to perform an obligation evidenced by the security or who becomes responsible for or in place of any such person. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- issuer: Any county, city, town, municipality, or public corporation issuing industrial revenue bonds under the authorizing act. See Alabama Code 32-6-274
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- legislature: The Legislature of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-35-242.05
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- person: Such term includes a corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- POST-EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS: Non-pension benefits sponsored in whole or in part by a governmental entity and paid in whole or in part by a governmental entity on behalf of retired employees or their dependents after separation from service in accordance with the terms of the relevant plan providing such benefits. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- RETIRED EMPLOYEE: A former employee of a governmental entity who is eligible for post-employment benefits from the governmental entity. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- retired volunteer firefighter: includes a volunteer firefighter who is a resident of this state and who has retired from a volunteer fire department in another state and who otherwise meets the requirements of this subsection. See Alabama Code 32-6-270
- security: Such term includes any note, stock, treasury stock, bond, debenture, evidence of indebtedness or certificate of interest or participation in an oil, gas, or mining title or lease or in payment out of production under such a title or lease, collateral trust certificate, transferable share, voting trust certificate, or, in general, any interest or instrument commonly known as a security or any certificate, interest or participation in any temporary or interim certificate, receipt or certificate of deposit for, or any warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase, any of the foregoing. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- state: The State of Alabama and any department, board, bureau, commission, or other agency thereof. See Alabama Code 45-35-244
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-35-242.05
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- THIRD-PARTY: A person other than a bank, broker, transfer agent, or issuer who with respect to a security held by a minor effects a transaction otherwise than directly with the minor. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- TRANSFER AGENT: A person who acts as authenticating trustee, transfer agent, registrar, or other agent for an issuer in the registration of transfers of securities in the issue of new securities or in the cancellation of surrendered securities. See Alabama Code 32-6-255
- trust: Any single-employer or multiple-employer trust or fund established for the purpose of funding post-employment benefits and includes, but is not limited to, an Internal Revenue Code Section 115 trust, 26 U. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- trustee: The trustee of a trust. See Alabama Code 45-35-234
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23