|Article 1||Alabama Education Lottery Corporation||41-26-1 – 41-26-34|
|Article 2||HOPE Scholarship Program||41-26-60 – 41-26-63|
|Article 3||Office of School Readiness||41-26-80 – 41-26-84|
|Article 4||Office of Information Technology||41-26-100 – 41-26-103|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 41 > Chapter 26
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- association: Includes, but is not limited to, an unincorporated nonprofit association as defined in Chapter 17 and an unincorporated professional association as defined in Article 1 of Chapter 30. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- association: The Alabama Insurance Guaranty Association created under Section 27-42-6. See Alabama Code 27-42-5
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- BUSINESS TRUST: A business trust as defined in Chapter 16. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- certificate of incorporation: as used in this chapter is synonymous to the term "certificate of formation" used in Chapter 1. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Converted organization: means the organization into which a converting organization converts pursuant to this article. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-9.01
- Converting corporation: means a converting organization that is a corporation. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-9.01
- Converting organization: means an organization that converts into another organization pursuant to this article. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-9.01
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- department: The Department of Insurance;
(2) COMMISSIONER. See Alabama Code 27-43-3
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- director: An individual who serves on the board of directors, by whatever name known, of a foreign or domestic corporation. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- domestic: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and exists pursuant to this title. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Entity: includes corporation; foreign corporation; nonprofit corporation; foreign nonprofit corporation; estate; trust; unincorporated entity; foreign unincorporated entity; and state, United States, and foreign government. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- foreign: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and existing under the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- foreign corporation: means an entity incorporated or existing under this chapter. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- FOREIGN LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIP: A foreign limited liability partnership as defined in Chapter 8A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- FOREIGN LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A foreign limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Foreign nonprofit corporation: means a corporation incorporated under a law other than the law of this state which would be a nonprofit corporation if incorporated under the law of this state. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- GENERAL PARTNERSHIP: A partnership as defined in Chapter 8A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Governing statute: means the statute governing the internal affairs of a corporation, foreign corporation, nonprofit corporation, foreign nonprofit corporation, unincorporated entity, or foreign unincorporated entity. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- INSOLVENT INSURER: An insurer licensed to transact insurance in this state, either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured event occurred, and against whom an order of liquidation with a finding of insolvency has been entered after January 1, 1981, by a court of competent jurisdiction in the insurer's state of domicile or of this state under the provisions of Chapter 32 of this title, which order of liquidation has not been stayed or been the subject of a writ of supersedeas bonds or other comparable order. See Alabama Code 27-42-5
- insured: Any named insured, additional insured, vendor, lessor, or other party identified as an insured under a policy. See Alabama Code 27-42-5
- insurer: Any person authorized to do a casualty insurance business or life, accident and sickness insurance business as an insurer in this state and organizations authorized to transact legal expense insurance under Section 27-43-8;
(4) LEGAL EXPENSE INSURANCE. See Alabama Code 27-43-3
- Interest: means either or both of the following rights under the governing statute governing an unincorporated entity:
(i) the right to receive distributions from the entity either in the ordinary course or upon liquidation; or
(ii) the right to receive notice or vote on issues involving its internal affairs, other than as an agent, assignee, proxy, or person responsible for managing its business and affairs. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY: A limited liability company as defined in Chapter 5A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED LIABILITY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited liability limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIP: A limited liability partnership as defined in Chapter 8A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- NONPROFIT CORPORATION: A domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- officer: An individual elected, appointed, or designated as an officer of an entity by the entity's governing authority or under the entity's governing documents. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Organization: means a general partnership, including a limited liability partnership; limited partnership, including a limited liability limited partnership; limited liability company; business trust; corporation; nonprofit corporation; professional corporation; or any other person having a governing statute. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-9.01
- Organizational documents: means :
(A) for a general partnership or foreign general partnership, its partnership agreement and if applicable, its registration as a limited liability partnership or a foreign limited liability partnership;
(B) for a limited partnership or foreign limited partnership, its certificate of formation and partnership agreement, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(C) for a limited liability company or foreign limited liability company, its certificate of formation and limited liability company agreement, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(D) for a business or statutory trust or foreign business or statutory trust, its agreement of trust and declaration of trust, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(E) for a corporation for profit or foreign corporation for profit, its certificate of incorporation, bylaws, and other agreements among its stockholders that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(F) for a nonprofit corporation or foreign nonprofit corporation, its certificate of incorporation, bylaws, and other agreements that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(G) for a professional corporation or foreign professional corporation, its certificate of incorporation, bylaws, and other agreements among its stockholders that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute; and
(H) for any other organization, the basic writings that create the organization and determine its internal governance and the relations among the persons that own it, have an interest in it, or are members of it. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-9.01
- partnership: Includes a general partnership, a limited liability partnership, a foreign limited liability partnership, a limited partnership, a foreign limited partnership, a limited liability limited partnership, and a foreign limited liability limited partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT: Any agreement (whether referred to as a partnership agreement or otherwise), written, oral or implied, of the partners as to the activities and affairs of a general partnership or a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- person: An individual, including the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual, or an organization, whether created by the laws of this state or another state or foreign country, including, without limitation, a general partnership, limited liability partnership, limited partnership, limited liability limited partnership, limited liability company, corporation, professional corporation, nonprofit corporation, professional association, trustee, personal representative, fiduciary, as defined in Section 19-3-150 or person performing in any similar capacity, business trust, estate, trust, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- person: Any individual or legal entity, including governmental entities. See Alabama Code 27-42-5
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Principal office: means the office (in or out of this state) so designated in the annual report where the principal executive offices of a corporation or foreign corporation are located. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Proceeding: includes any civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION: A domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under Section 10A-2A-8. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Stock: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation or foreign corporation are divided. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Stockholder: means a record stockholder. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Voting group: means all stock of one or more classes or series that under the certificate of incorporation or this chapter are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of stockholders. See Alabama Code 10A-2A-1.40
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 1-1-1