|Division 1||Assistant Sheriff, Bessemer Division||45-37-232|
|Division 2||Chief Deputy Sheriff||45-37-232.20|
|Division 3||Confidential Secretary||45-37-232.40|
|Division 4||Executive Assistant||45-37-232.60|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 45 > Chapter 37 > Article 23 > Part 3
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- blind person: means a natural person who has no vision or whose vision with correcting glasses is so defective as to prevent the performance of ordinary activities for which eyesight is essential, or who has central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting glasses, or whose central visual acuity is more than 20/200 in the better eye with correcting glasses but whose peripheral field has contracted to such an extent that the widest diameter of the visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees. See Alabama Code 30-3D-610
- board: The State Board of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 34-13-50
- bonds: Those bonds, including the refunding bonds, issued under and pursuant to the provisions of this article. See Alabama Code 45-37-232.20
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 34-13-50
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries. See Alabama Code 32-6-15
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- FEED DISTRIBUTOR: Any person residing in Alabama, or any Alabama corporation, or Alabama legal business entity that sells directly to a ratite producer feed of any sort that is intended for ratite consumption regardless of where the feed is manufactured. See Alabama Code 34-13-50
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- following: means next after. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- month: means a calendar month. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- ratite: One of a variety of flightless birds including an ostrich, emu, rhea, cassowary, or kiwi. See Alabama Code 34-13-50
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608