Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 7 > Article 4A > Part 2
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- CAPACITY TO PROCEED OR CONTINUE TO TRIAL: Whether or not a defendant accused of a crime:
a. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the Department of Mental Health of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- department: The Alabama State Department of Mental Health. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- DESIGNATED MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY: A mental health facility other than a state mental health facility designated by the State Department of Mental Health to receive persons for evaluation, examination, admission, detention or treatment pursuant to the provisions of this article. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- facility: Any state-owned or state-operated hospital or other facility, whether currently operating or to be operated in the future, utilized for the diagnosis, care, treatment, training or hospitalization of persons who are mentally ill or who are believed to be mentally ill and any other appropriate facility within the State of Alabama approved for such purpose by the Department of Mental Health, excluding those general hospitals owned by a state educational institution which is a public corporation organized under the acts of the Legislature of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- respondent: A person for which a petition for commitment to mental health services has been filed. See Alabama Code 22-52-1.1
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- superintendent: The superintendent or director of Bryce Hospital located in Tuscaloosa County, the superintendent or director of Searcy Hospital located in Mobile County or the superintendent or director of any such facility as defined in subdivision (4) of this section. See Alabama Code 22-52-30
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 1-1-1